August 30, 2018
Going to Italy has always been a dream of mine! I wanted to go in college for study abroad, but couldn’t afford it. One day, I knew it would happen, and this summer it did! AND it was as amazing as I anticipated it to be! In Italy, we stopped in four different cities: The Amalfi Coast, Rome, Florence, and Venice, and today, I am sharing my Amalfi Coast Travel Guide with you.
The Amalfi Coast is filled with many different cities. After some research, I read that staying in Sorrento was not only the most central location, but also the cheapest. SO, we found an AirBNB in Sorrento, and it was more perfect than we could have ever hoped for.
First, we flew into Naples Airport. From there, we needed to find a bus to get us from the airport to Sorrento, and, I’m not going to lie, that was pretty hard. We were running on 24 hours of no sleep and not knowing any Italian it was a little hard, but we talked to two different people and made it 10 minutes before the bus left to Sorrento. It was perfect!!
What else is perfect? How close our AirBNB was to the bus/train station. I would say a 10 minute walk with heavy suitcases. And 12 minute walk to Downtown Sorrento. We definitely did not know that going in, but we are so thankful!
As soon as we checked into our AirBNB, we went to go eat. We were 100% hangry. It wasn’t the best food we ate in Italy, but it made do for what we needed! And I got to try my first Lemoncello!
Positano: Boat Cruise through AirBnB
- How to get to Positano from Sorrento
- There are a few ways to get to Positano, but we chose to take the bus to save money! Other options are ferry and hiring a driver. You do not want to drive yourself!
- TIPS and TRICKS
- Print of Bus Schedule before you leave for Italy! This will be handy when you take the bus places!
- Purchase all your bus tickets before you get on the bus. There is a ticket booth right before you hop on the bus and there is one in the building where you can also buy magazines! (To get to Positano and back you will need to purchase 2 tickets!)
- Get to the bus stop in Sorrento 10 minutes before it leaves to get a seat!
- Get to the bus stop in Positano at least 15 minutes before it leaves to even get on the bus! This is tricky. (I can go further in depth, but the bus coming from Amalfi already has a lot of people on it. The bus may even pass you if it’s full!)
- Purchase Motion Sickness Pills!! YOU MUST DO THIS. Even if you don’t get that sick. Getting to and from Positano is all turns and the bus driver will not take them lightly.
- I 100% recommend this Boat Cruise that I found through AirBNB.
- Not only was it affordable, but so exclusive! We were on a big boat with only two other couples! It was incredible!
- We were on the boat for 6 plus hours circling the island of Capri! They provided drinks, snacks, and even made reservations to a restaurant only accessible by water! SO GOOD!
- One of the couples on the boat are now friends and we follow each other on social media! Meeting our Aussie couple will always be a highlight from our trip!
- We went to watch the sunset and get drinks at this exclusive hotel! They have a happy hour seating area over looking the water. I will never forget watching the sunset at that place. It was beautiful!
- After, we stopped to buy some gelato! Anywhere you go, you will find good gelato! The place we went to had a more modern spin. We loved it!
- In the morning, we went to go grab coffee and breakfast in town! We also explored a little bit before the hair and makeup person arrived to glam me up for our Anniversary Session!
- For souvenirs, look for an older man painting on the side of the road. So so beautiful. It’s my favorite thing we bought from Italy!
Ravello: Anniversary Session
- How to Get from Sorrento to Ravello
- Very similar to how to get to Positano, but more stops and you have to hop on another bus!
- Purchase all tickets before you leave! This is essential! Ask the man behind the booth that you are going to Ravello, he will give you the right tickets!
- You will take the bus from Sorrento to Amalfi, and then from Amalfi you will take another bus to Ravello.
- If you are looking for a beautiful place to visit that isn’t crowded… Ravello is your place to go! It’s BEAUTIFUL and so wonderful! I’m so glad we got to explore that amazing place!
- The ride back we lucky had seats because it was crowded and multiple people wanted to throw up… Getting back to Sorrento from Amalfi is so easily comparatively from Positano to Sorrento.
- Walk around downtown Sorrento for good dinner! Go with what you think looks best! That’s what we did! You can also look at menus outside of the restaurant!
- After, we got more gelato!
Then to get to Rome on Day 3, we got train tickets, and headed to Naples to get on the Metro to Rome!
GET METRO RAIL TICKETS BEFORE YOU LEAVE FOR ITALY! – This is a must!
But, that is it for our experience on the Amalfi Coast! I wish we could have stayed longer, but I think we did amazing job at seeing so much in the little amount of time we had!
If you have any questions or anything, please let me know in the comments! I’d love to help!
Amalfi (we were only there for 5 minutes waiting for the bus!)
Back to Amalfi waiting for the bus!
Exploring Sorrento before we leave for Rome! This was our AirBNB! Filled with lemon trees!
MJ met a friend, who clearly did not like me… The feeling is neutral, cat.
Next week: ROME!
Check out this Alaskan Cruise Travel Guide!